Two years in: celebrating the achievements and what’s next…
By Fleur Madden, FG CEO
This week marks two years since we launched Freelancing Gems, the FIRST intelligent jobs platform in Australia dedicated to women in the gig economy.
Ironically, it also marks Equal Pay Day, representing the 60 extra days a woman must work to earn the same amount as men.
When I take stock of both of these events, what is clear to me is that the work we do is essential and critical. I recently spoke with a female executive who is on the hunt for a new role and when I asked her why she chose Freelancing Gems to help her, she told me that it’s because unlike traditional models of recruitment, “you are a movement”.
In two years we have achieved so much:
- Connected Australian women with hundreds of job opportunities
- Hosted 20 masterclasses so we all learn new skills
- Produced 5 large-scale events, including our first GemCon conference with 21 speakers
- Hosted 6 coworking days to give our members the opportunity to connect and work collaboratively
- Supported vital charities in our community that help vulnerable women like Share The Dignity, Dress for Success, The Forgotten Woman and Baby Give Back
One of the things that I am most proud of is the women on our platform who have given themselves a pay increase or had the courage to have important conversations around pay parity. I love hearing that members no longer charge what they think someone can pay them, but instead, what they are worth, like Brittany in this testimonial.
Our road hasn’t been easy, it rarely is when you’re a game changer. There have been the nay-sayers who don’t believe in the gender pay gap or think Freelancing Gems is a charity because women and work is such a confusing topic for some. But let me assure you, we are just getting started.
Here is a little of what you can look forward to in the coming months:
- You will notice our new talent matching AI-driven feature coming into action which immediately connects freelancers with suitable job opportunities. Your Gem profile and job ads now include a series of new fields that will help to improve your matches.
- The launch of our new podcast before the year is out called Wild and Freelancing.
- Our new scholarship program for vulnerable women who need a hand setting themselves up professionally to freelance or consult.
- Gem Recruitment which now assists employers looking for full-time and permanent part-time candidates will officially launch.
- We are also launching an online course for freelancers.
Our mission is simple, we connect women with valuable job opportunities and support the gender diversity efforts of employers – so please, tell 5 friends about us this week, list your job or project opportunities with us an join the movement that sees women and work as a priority.
Thank you for being part of the Freelancing Gems foundation years and supporting women at work.