About the Job or Project
New Idea – Australia’s most fun celebrity and lifestyle magazine – is looking for a creative, dynamic and enthusiastic Associate Editor for a 12 month contract! The Associate Editor is responsible for the entertainment section of the magazine, and is expected to secure exclusive content , report on breaking news, and brainstorm fresh angles each week. In this role, no two days are the same.
You’ll also negotiate contracts and attend shoots with celebrities, so being a people person who can maintain strong relationships with a lengthy list of publicists and talent managers as well as freelance contributors is a must. Our successful applicant will pride themselves on being in the know at all times on all things local, royal and Hollywood, but most importantly, they’ll be an Aussie TV expert.
Strong communication skills, an eye for copy-editing and knowing the difference between a good magazine layout and a great one are all essential attributes. Working in a company with a focus on creating the highest quality omnichannel content, an understanding of what makes New Idea successful on all platforms will also be crucial.
- Responsible for pitching, researching, writing and implementing entertainment stories in line with the strategic direction and tone of the magazine.
- Responsible for sourcing images and briefing layouts.
- Assist with proofreading and copy editing the work of junior staff members.
- Manage relationships with talent, talent agents, TV and radio publicists and other outside parties.
- Work with and help manage a team of freelance contributors.
- Responsible for pitching cover concepts and contributing to coverline meetings on a weekly basis.
- Step up to assist the Editor/Deputy Editor when needed.
- Mentor junior staff members.
- Communicate and coordinate with sister publications.
- Liaise with legal counsel.
Ideal Applicant or Experience
- Minimum 3 years’ experience on a magazine, website or related industry
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- High level copy-editing skills
- Understanding of the production process of a weekly magazine
- An ability to set challenging goals, plan ahead and juggle competing demands
- An understanding of media law and related concepts
Required Skills and Services
Perks and Benefits
Join Australia’s leading content company for women and be part of an inspiring, creative and collaborative team. We offer excellent people programs including:
- A day of leave for your birthday,
- 4 days of volunteering leave each year,
- An inclusive parental leave program that supports all parents, families & carers,
- FREE digital access to all our titles, and
- Our unique Are Media Learning Academy (Digital Academy, Lunch N Learns, Mentoring and much more).
We support flexible ways of working through our Activity Based Working (ABW) model. We encourage a balance of working in the office and remotely and we believe this enables our people to do their best work.
About New Media
Who Are We?
Are Media is Australia’s leading omnichannel content company for women. Every day we influence, inform, inspire, and connect with 6 in 10 Australian women across magazine media, digital, video, social, e-commerce, customer review sites, podcasts, events and experiences. Our brands include The Australian Women’s Weekly, Better Homes & Gardens, Woman’s Day, marie claire, TV WEEK, New Idea, Now to Love, Australian Gourmet Traveller, BEAUTY/crew and ELLE. Through our Change AREgenda we drive meaningful and positive change for women
Are Media employs Australia’s best content creation talent and we are proud that our greatest strength is our people.
How to Apply
If this job sounds like it was made for you please apply via the section below with your resume and cover letter outlining why you’re the best fit for the project. Examples of your work would also be an added bonus.
Want to connect with this employer?Join Today