Meet Cherie, a Facilitator and Coach ready to Luminate your business and inspire leaders
Cherie Canning is a Facilitator & Coach from Luminate Leadership, a leadership development business providing facilitation and coaching to leaders and their teams. She wants to grow and inspire the leaders of today’s age and create a better future especially that there is a pandemic crisis happening.
Cherie loves to travel by meeting new people and learning about cultures. She has visited over 70 countries and would love to always experience new places. Cherie is also a wife and mum of 5 year old named Chloe that inspires them everyday.
Cherie is our latest Gem of the Week and shares more about her freelance life in the interview below.
When and why did you ditch the 9-5 and go out on your own?
I was working in travel industry for almost 20 years and made redundant in 2020 (thanks Covid!) I always knew exactly what I wanted to do, continue working in leadership development as a facilitator and coach but I couldn’t find the right role, so I backed myself and decided to start my own company!
What’s the best piece of advice you’d give to someone who is waiting to take the leap to work for themselves?
- Ask lots of questions! You don’t know what you don’t know so get curious!
- Speak to experts.
- Invest in your own development.
- Always ask for help or suggestions, without that I wouldn’t have found tools like Xero, Better proposals and a great accountant to name a few!
Best tips for winning new business?
- Be authentic, show the world who you are and own your unique personality. Show up on socials and linked in.
- Mindset is everything, be prepared to be your own biggest fan, there is no room for self doubt here!
- Get clear on your WHY. Share why you do what you do and bring that to every interaction you have.
- Know who your ideal customer and also identify the customers who aren’t a great fit.
- Go where your customers are, either online or networking events, etc.
What has been your favourite client/project you’ve done to date?
That’s a tough one to answer! It’s like asking someone who is their favourite child ( lucky I only have one!!)
I would say one of the most rewarding was coaching and co-creating “The Leadership Academy” for 99 Bikes. We have created leadership competencies, 7 individual programs and workshops for their employees nationwide. The programs range from an introduction to leadership through to their senior leadership program.
Last week I facilitated and launched the Team Leader Foundation program. It was such a fulfilling experience to see it come to life after months of preparation!
What is a business win you’re currently celebrating?
I have just expanded into Western Australia! We have an incredible facilitator working for Luminate over in WA and she’s getting rave reviews!
It’s so wonderful to be able to spend the Luminate love across the country!
Cherie Canning is very driven to inspire and grow people to become their best authentic selves. Let Cherie inspire you and facilitate your business.